I think I just found the perfect trailer
Eddie
2005-04-16 07:43:51 UTC
I went to an RV dealer near my house and saw a 37' tow trailer. It's
a used 2005 Hornet (Keystone) 37DD. I know it's not a high-end
trailer like my current Holiday Rambler, but the floor layout is
almost perfect. It has bunks in the front, with a small dinette (for
our two little girls) It also has a normal dinette that turns into a
bed. It has two slides, the bedroom with queen and the living area.
It has a sofa bed. The bedroom has a solid door for privacy (and a
private entrance) as well as the door to the bunk area. It sleeps 10
very comfortably. They're asking 22K but would like to hear from
anyone that might have experience with this brand/model.
I plan to keep it on a private ranch, thus minimal towing.
It is aluminum and would rather have fiberglass, but it's not
available with that skin.
appreciate any comments
Thanks
Eddie
MTV
2005-04-16 18:14:38 UTC
Post by Eddie
[...]
It's a decent price; dealers have some difficulty in selling such a long
TT. Sure wouldn't want to tow it very often.

Marv
Sandy A. Nicolaysen
2005-04-16 22:01:08 UTC
Post by MTV
Post by Eddie
[...]
Marv: A 37 DD travel trailer and a 37 DD wife are pretty much the
same thing. Just a little bigger, but not a heck of a lot more than a
30 C. :)

My TT is 30 feet long. Another 7 feet wouldn't bother me at all as
far as towing is concerned, though I agree that some older campgrounds
in the northeast may have troubles accommodating a rig that large.

- Sandy
MTV
2005-04-16 23:40:18 UTC
Post by Sandy A. Nicolaysen
Post by MTV
Post by Eddie
[...]
And most state parks, which is where we do most of our camping. So we just
settled on a 28' model. Compared to a 30' we gave up a foot of counter
space, an end table on the sofa, a computer desk and 1000 lbs. We're happy.

Marv
gary
2005-04-17 16:05:51 UTC
Post by Sandy A. Nicolaysen
Post by MTV
Post by Eddie
[...]
I beg to differ. I think its more like gas at $1.80 per gallon and gas at
$2.35 a gallon. It's only 30% more but, damn, it sure feels like a whole
lot more! While a 30 foot trailer has approximately a 25 foot box on the
end of a 5 foot tongue, a 37 footer has about 32 feet on the end of the same
size tongue. And guess what, its all on the ass end where it does all the
dancing. If a 30 footer weighed say 6,000 pounds, an equivalent 37 footer
would weigh nearly 8,000 pounds. I had a 35 foot Corsair and now own a 26
foot Terry, and the stress level is down 99.9%.

Gary
William Boyd
2005-04-17 16:19:26 UTC
Post by gary
Post by Sandy A. Nicolaysen
Post by MTV
Post by Eddie
[...]
Don't agree with your math. Even if you consider a 30 footer at
6,000 pounds divided out equals to 200 per foot. add 7 feet @ 200
would be 1400 pounds. But the heavy chassis and axles would not
change unless an additional axle was added. I think you would come
closer to 1,000 pounds heavier. When you consider eight feet wide
times 7 comes up to more room than an average slide out. I think it
is quite a bit more room.
--
BILL P.
Just Dog
ME
gary
2005-04-17 16:56:56 UTC
Post by gary
Post by Sandy A. Nicolaysen
Post by MTV
Post by Eddie
[...]
I don't agree with your math. A 6,000 pound 30 foot trailer does not weigh
200 pounds per foot. The first 4 to 5 feet weigh 100 pounds at most leaving
5,900 pounds for the remaining 25 feet. That's 236 pounds per foot or 1,652
total for an additional 7 feet. This is to say nothing about larger
trailers having heavier frames, axles and wheels. Besides, a 1,650 pound
weigh on the end of a 16 foot lever (approximate distance from back bumper
to axle on a 37 footer) is a lot to try to control.

I do agree with you regarding more room, 7 feet is nearly 30% more living
area. My 26 foot Terry has almost the identical layout as my 35 foot
Corsair had, just a little more compact. Once set up, the Corsair was a
dream, but oh the stress getting there!! I can now latch onto my Terry and
hardly know its there. The minimum turning radius appears to be about half
what the Corsair was. I always feared that loooong rear end would swing
around and take out a few parked cars or mailboxes or a few pedestrians on
the street.

Gary
William Boyd
2005-04-17 21:15:23 UTC
Post by gary
Post by gary
Post by Sandy A. Nicolaysen
Post by MTV
Post by Eddie
[...]
http://keystone-hornet.com/index.html?page=floorplans

Dont see a 37DD, cant tell or even compare unless you know about how
many slides he has.
--
BILL P.
Just Dog
ME
Eddie
2005-04-18 05:35:28 UTC
Post by William Boyd
http://keystone-hornet.com/index.html?page=floorplans
Dont see a 37DD, cant tell or even compare unless you know about how
many slides he has.
It's like the 38 BHDS. 37DD has minor bedroom cabinet change, plus it
includes a swivel chair. I don't know why the Keystone website does
not have a 37DD.
Two slides.
Eddie
Bill McKee
2005-04-18 17:11:20 UTC
Post by gary
Post by Sandy A. Nicolaysen
Post by MTV
Post by Eddie
[...]
Most Semi's trailers are 40'. How many trailers of that size are towed by
pickups, etc?
Cliff
2005-04-18 17:32:59 UTC
Post by Bill McKee
Post by gary
Post by Sandy A. Nicolaysen
Post by MTV
Post by Eddie
[...]
I believe most semi trailers are 53' ...
--
Cliff
Our Web Page http://www.cj-and-m.com
Louis L'Amour (1908 - 1988)
Bill McKee
2005-04-19 05:04:34 UTC
Post by Cliff
Post by Bill McKee
Post by gary
Post by Sandy A. Nicolaysen
Post by MTV
Post by Eddie
[...]
Sorry, was thinking of moving vans.
Louis L'Amour (1908 - 1988)
Frank Tabor
2005-04-20 00:58:49 UTC
On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 17:11:20 GMT, "Bill McKee"
Post by Bill McKee
Post by gary
Post by Sandy A. Nicolaysen
Post by MTV
Post by Eddie
[...]
40s are pretty rare now. Doubles are 35'. Most common is 45' and 53'
now.
--
Frank Tabor