Wasp's nest in water heater compartment
Nadyne Nelson
2003-10-08 10:31:39 UTC
I'm leaving tomorrow to go north for a few weeks and I brought the MH to my
mechanic to check all systems. When he opened the compartment to light the
water heater, he discovered a huge wasp's nest with thousands of wasps. He
got rid of it for me (luckily without getting stung!!) but I'm just
wondering what I can do to prevent that from happening again. If I hadn't
brought the MH to Gary to check out, I would have been stopped somewhere and
would have found that nest on my own with absolutely no way to get rid of
it.

Anyone else ever have this problem and what did you do about it?
--
Nadyne Nelson
***@prospectiveplanning.com
Bill Tolle
2003-10-08 12:10:12 UTC
I put a piece of screen wire on the inside of the louvers on my water heater
and refrigerator vents to prevent wasps and 'dirt daubers' from getting in.
Cut it about 1" larger than the opening and used my hot melt glue gun to
attach it to the inside of the vents.

I also put one of those screens over the central heater vents that you can
buy at Camper's Choice or Camping World.

Bill Tolle
Nadyne Nelson
Will Sill
2003-10-08 12:37:52 UTC
Post by Nadyne Nelson
Anyone else ever have this problem and what did you do about it?
There are several inexpensive wasp/hornet sprays that immobilize and
kill them in seconds - from a safe distance.

Will Sill
Kevin W. Miller
2003-10-08 15:30:49 UTC
Post by Will Sill
Post by Nadyne Nelson
Anyone else ever have this problem and what did you do about it?
There are several inexpensive wasp/hornet sprays that immobilize and
kill them in seconds - from a safe distance.
Will Sill
And, for those of you who need all the warning labels that they put on step
ladders these days; before you actually use these products, please be sure
your water heater is turned off and that there is no AC power to or pilot
lights lit in the compartment BEFORE you spray.

Yeah yeah, I know - Duh!

Kevin W. Miller
Nadyne Nelson
2003-10-08 15:54:04 UTC
Thanks for all the suggestions. That's what this newsgroup is all about -
RV'ers helping other RV'ers with answers that come from experience. It's
nice to get answers with no insults and without being made to feel moronic
for even asking the question in the first place.

Sigh. Wish it could be like this all the time.
--
Nadyne Nelson
Kevin W. Miller
Kevin W. Miller

Kevin W. Miller
BD
2003-10-08 18:04:03 UTC
Hey Kevin,

Good meeting you at the CO.
I'd sure like to see your pics of Ft. Canby.
We really need to get all the pics in one place.
I thought it was going to happen this weekend, but I guess not.
Maybe we ought to get Ben or Don on it?

BD
Meep

BD
BD
2003-10-09 02:23:27 UTC
Post by Meep
I will I will!!! I just ran out of time on Sunday.
Sorry about that.
Hey, I understand...you and Bob were busy handing out free beer.
<g>
BD
Meep

BD
Kevin W Miller
2003-10-09 01:14:58 UTC
Post by BD
Hey Kevin,
Good meeting you at the CO.
Likewise there Mr. BD! Hope to see you for a longer period at the next one
as well. We're contemplating having our new hats bronzed. We will have to
check with the Smithsonian first to see if that will diminish the value or
add to it. Thanks again by the way.
Post by BD
I'd sure like to see your pics of Ft. Canby.
We really need to get all the pics in one place.
I thought it was going to happen this weekend, but I guess not.
Maybe we ought to get Ben or Don on it?
BD
Meep has accomplished this in her usual inimitable fashion! Thanks Meep. We
do appreciate your work!

Kevin W. Miller
Neon John
2003-10-09 04:14:14 UTC
Post by Nadyne Nelson
Thanks for all the suggestions. That's what this newsgroup is all about -
RV'ers helping other RV'ers with answers that come from experience. It's
nice to get answers with no insults and without being made to feel moronic
for even asking the question in the first place.
Sigh. Wish it could be like this all the time.
I thought it was. Would you like a copy of my kill file? Eliminate half a
dozen bad apples and the rest of the barrel is mighty tasty.

John
---
John De Armond
***@bellsouth.net
http://bellsouthpwp.net/j/o/johngd/
Cleveland, Occupied TN
Chris Bryant
2003-10-08 12:36:34 UTC
Post by Nadyne Nelson
I'm leaving tomorrow to go north for a few weeks and I brought the MH to
my mechanic to check all systems. When he opened the compartment to light
the water heater, he discovered a huge wasp's nest with thousands of
wasps.
<<..>>
Post by Nadyne Nelson
Anyone else ever have this problem and what did you do about it?
I like keeping a few moth balls inside the heater door (and inside the
exterior refrigerator door). You can also use the ear tag type pest
repellents they use for livestock.
These help with wasps *and* spiders.
--
Chris Bryant
http://bryantrv.com
tommy/wendy
2003-10-08 18:31:34 UTC
We just returned from looking at RV's today and in one of the TT's the
salesmen opened the compartment where you light the pilot light and there
was pet flea collar rolled up laying inside the compartment. He said it
keeps the dirt daubers out, that they build nest inside the pilot light
compartment and when you got to light it, its a mess!
Has anyone ever heard of this? If so, it should work for wasp too.
Nadyne Nelson
Lone Haranguer
2003-10-08 18:58:15 UTC
Post by Nadyne Nelson
I'm leaving tomorrow to go north for a few weeks and I brought the MH to my
mechanic to check all systems. When he opened the compartment to light the
water heater, he discovered a huge wasp's nest with thousands of wasps. He
got rid of it for me (luckily without getting stung!!) but I'm just
wondering what I can do to prevent that from happening again. If I hadn't
brought the MH to Gary to check out, I would have been stopped somewhere and
would have found that nest on my own with absolutely no way to get rid of
it.
Anyone else ever have this problem and what did you do about it?
Practiced my running skills....

Seriously, I had a big one in my BBQ grill once. I zoomed to town,
bought one of those "Bee Bombs" and returned. Opened the lid with a
stick and hosed them good. Didn't get stung but it did take some fancy
footwork and accurate spraying of those who attacked me. Quite
sporting actually. Like hunting game that can get even.
LZ
MR
2003-10-09 16:18:44 UTC
Post by Nadyne Nelson
I'm leaving tomorrow to go north for a few weeks and I brought the MH to my
mechanic to check all systems. When he opened the compartment to light the
water heater, he discovered a huge wasp's nest with thousands of wasps. He
got rid of it for me (luckily without getting stung!!) but I'm just
wondering what I can do to prevent that from happening again. If I hadn't
brought the MH to Gary to check out, I would have been stopped somewhere and
would have found that nest on my own with absolutely no way to get rid of
it.
Anyone else ever have this problem and what did you do about it?
I had them one year in my HW heater and frig. burner compartment. Got
some moth balls and tied them up in some of my wife's old hose and put
them in the compartment. Never have any wasp, ants or spider webs
now................so far that is. When traveling, I remove them and
store in a freezer bag for the next landing.
Good luck,
MR
Mike Hendrix
2003-10-10 22:08:20 UTC
Post by MR
Post by Nadyne Nelson
[...]
----------------------------------
I put mothballs in old prescription containers with holes drilled in
them. I use mothballs instead of flakes because the flakes last
longer. I put the mothballs in the "preforated" pill containers so
that they will not disipate too quickly. Flakes will disipate rapidly
even in the containers. I put these containers in the referigerator
compartment and water heater compartment.

I purchased a screen muzzle that fits over my heater outlets that
keeps the wasp out.

Mike Hendrix
Mike Hendrix
Pensacola
http://travellogs.us/
Lon VanOstran
2003-10-08 21:11:34 UTC
Post by Nadyne Nelson
I'm leaving tomorrow to go north for a few weeks and I brought the MH to my
mechanic to check all systems. When he opened the compartment to light the
water heater, he discovered a huge wasp's nest with thousands of wasps. He
got rid of it for me (luckily without getting stung!!) but I'm just
wondering what I can do to prevent that from happening again. If I hadn't
brought the MH to Gary to check out, I would have been stopped somewhere and
would have found that nest on my own with absolutely no way to get rid of
it.
Anyone else ever have this problem and what did you do about it?
--
Wasps will build a nest nearly anywhere. I just knock it off with a stick, and
then step on it. On the other hand, I usually notice when wasps come and go

Lon
Curt Martin
Bold, very bold.
bill horne
2003-10-09 08:16:12 UTC
Post by Lon VanOstran
Wasps will build a nest nearly anywhere. I just knock it off with a stick, and
then step on it.
Lon
I tried that once on a nest under my fridge flue/vent cover. Damnear
killed myself coming down the ladder - but none of the little bastards
caught me. I'm older now, and use other methods.
--
bill
Jon Porter
2003-10-12 01:22:50 UTC
Post by bill horne
Post by Lon VanOstran
Wasps will build a nest nearly anywhere. I just knock it off with a stick, and
then step on it.
Lon
I tried that once on a nest under my fridge flue/vent cover. Damnear
killed myself coming down the ladder - but none of the little bastards
caught me. I'm older now, and use other methods.
I had my first experience a few months back with wasps setting up house on
my RV. I spotted them while I was at a dump station, they had set up a nice
little effeciency apartment in the output vent of the propane furnace. No
problem, I simply turned on the furnace and roasted them out. Then I took a
screwdriver and knocked out the nest. Bad move, those little buggers were
still buzzing around and I had to finish with dumping the tanks. I finally
managed while keeping eye for them, and then hightailed it down the road a
couple of miles before stopping to turn off the furnace.
R.J.(Bob) Evans
2003-10-12 15:30:25 UTC
Post by Jon Porter
I had my first experience a few months back with wasps setting up house on
my RV. I spotted them while I was at a dump station, they had set up a nice
little effeciency apartment in the output vent of the propane furnace. No
problem, I simply turned on the furnace and roasted them out. Then I took a
screwdriver and knocked out the nest. Bad move, those little buggers were
still buzzing around and I had to finish with dumping the tanks. I finally
managed while keeping eye for them, and then hightailed it down the road a
couple of miles before stopping to turn off the furnace.
Have none of you people heard of Raid?

Fire works well too if they are in a spot where you won't light up the
surroundings. Hold a torch to the hole in the bottom of their nest.
They fly out, their wings burn off, problem solved.

R.J.(Bob) Evans
(return address needs alteration to work)

Neon John
2003-10-09 04:12:41 UTC
No, but then again I use my rig almost every weekend.

Here's a tip for dealing with wasps. CRC brand contact cleaner. Available at
Home depot in the electrical department. This stuff is meant to degrease
electrical contacts but when it contacts wasps it turns off Mr Life! All
movement ceases. Most amazing thing you've ever seen. 10X better than wasp
and hornet spray. Other brands will work if they contain a chlorinated
hydrocarbon.

John