OT - Lunar Eclipse Tonight
Kevin W. Miller
2004-10-27 15:02:32 UTC
For all you flat-earthers:

http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/eclipses/article_1340_1.asp

Should be a good viewing one for most, it sounds like:

"The best astronomical events usually seem to happen at the worst times and
places - at 3 a.m. low above your most obstructed horizon, or maybe only in
East Antarctica. But not this time, not for observers anywhere in the
Americas. On October 27, 2004, the full Moon will undergo a deep total
eclipse lasting for 1 hour 22 minutes, when it will be high in the eastern
sky after dark but while most people are still awake and about.
The only slightly problematic area will be near the West Coast of North
America, where the partial phase of the eclipse will begin just a few
minutes after sunset and moonrise. But if you have an open view low to the
east, even this situation will only add to the drama. As twilight fades,
westerners will see the shadow-bitten Moon coming into stark view low above
the landscape, and by the time totality begins, the sky will be getting
quite dark and the Moon will be fairly high.

What's more, in a conjunction of events never before seen in history, this
eclipse happens during Game 4 of the World Series. The World Series Lunar
Eclipse should be visible to fans with good sight lines from Busch Memorial
Stadium in St. Louis, and we can hope that TV crews periodically aim up to
show the progress of the event. Millions of watchers could be inspired to
duck outside for a look between innings. (P.S.: Go Sox!)

Europe and much of Africa also get a good view of the eclipse, but at a less
convenient time: before dawn on the morning of October 28th."

Kevin W. Miller
Bob Giddings
2004-10-27 15:31:58 UTC
Thanks, Kevin. I've been enjoying the full moon here in the desert.
It is bright enough to walk around and look for coyotes and crows.
This news may make me get out the old tripod and attempt a night
photo.

Bob

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 08:02:32 -0700, "Kevin W. Miller"
Post by Kevin W. Miller
[...]
www.arcatapet.net/bobgiddings

Current email at:
bobgiddings0 at yahoo dot com
Kevin W. Miller
2004-10-27 15:47:38 UTC
Post by Bob Giddings
Thanks, Kevin. I've been enjoying the full moon here in the desert.
It is bright enough to walk around and look for coyotes and crows.
This news may make me get out the old tripod and attempt a night
photo.
Bob
Please let me know if you do. I'd love to see the pic. We may actually get
one of our three clear days a year tonight and, if so, I'll try some piture
taking too.

Kevin W. Miller
Bob Giddings
2004-10-27 16:01:16 UTC
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 08:47:38 -0700, "Kevin W. Miller"
Post by Kevin W. Miller
Post by Bob Giddings
Thanks, Kevin. I've been enjoying the full moon here in the desert.
It is bright enough to walk around and look for coyotes and crows.
This news may make me get out the old tripod and attempt a night
photo.
Bob
Please let me know if you do. I'd love to see the pic. We may actually get
one of our three clear days a year tonight and, if so, I'll try some piture
taking too.
Kevin W. Miller
It is odd that the article doesn't give the time of the eclipse, just
hints about sunset on the west coast.

Kevin W. Miller
2004-10-27 16:03:39 UTC
Post by Kevin W. Miller
Post by Bob Giddings
Thanks, Kevin. I've been enjoying the full moon here in the desert.
It is bright enough to walk around and look for coyotes and crows.
This news may make me get out the old tripod and attempt a night
photo.
Bob
Please let me know if you do. I'd love to see the pic. We may
actually get one of our three clear days a year tonight and, if so,
I'll try some piture taking too.
Kevin W. Miller
It is odd that the article doesn't give the time of the eclipse, just
hints about sunset on the west coast.
www.arcatapet.net/bobgiddings
bobgiddings0 at yahoo dot com
According to:

Total begins at 19:23 PDT and partial at 18:14 PDT.

Kevin W. Miller
Bob Giddings
2004-10-27 23:30:19 UTC
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:03:39 -0700, "Kevin W. Miller"
Post by Kevin W. Miller
http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/LEmono/TLE2004Oct28/image/TLE2004Oct-PDT.GIF
Total begins at 19:23 PDT and partial at 18:14 PDT.
Kevin W. Miller
Well, darn it. Don't know if you can hear this wind howl over the
ether, but as luck would have it dark clouds started moving in about
30 minutes ago. I doubt I'll even see the moon tonight. In fact if
this wind keeps up I'll probably take down the antenna and miss Jim
Lehrer.

The last two nights have been remarkably clear, still, and bright here
on Lake Powell. But not for the Eclipse. O noooo.

It could be worse, I guess. I'm cutting up a bunch of home fries, and
there's plenty of ketchup.

Bob

Kevin W Miller
2004-10-28 00:09:43 UTC
Post by Bob Giddings
Post by Kevin W. Miller
Total begins at 19:23 PDT and partial at 18:14 PDT.
Kevin W. Miller
Well, darn it. Don't know if you can hear this wind howl over the
ether, but as luck would have it dark clouds started moving in about
30 minutes ago. I doubt I'll even see the moon tonight. In fact if
this wind keeps up I'll probably take down the antenna and miss Jim
Lehrer.
The last two nights have been remarkably clear, still, and bright here
on Lake Powell. But not for the Eclipse. O noooo.
It could be worse, I guess. I'm cutting up a bunch of home fries, and
there's plenty of ketchup.
Bob
www.arcatapet.net/bobgiddings
bobgiddings0 at yahoo dot com
Oh bummer dood! Well, many won't believe it but, as luck would have it,
we've got gorgeous weather here in the great PNW (neener, neener Mr B.
Hatch!). We're not supposed to see a total eclipse from our neck o' the
woods but I'm gonna see if I can't get some pics of what we do see.

Have a cold beer with them fries.

Kevin W. Miller
Sandy A. Nicolaysen
2004-10-28 01:18:14 UTC
Post by Bob Giddings
Post by Kevin W. Miller
[...]
Try: Loading Image...

Obviously a time sensitive link.

- Sandy
Lone Haranguer
2004-10-28 02:29:03 UTC
Post by Kevin W Miller
Have a cold beer with them fries.
Great view of the eclipse here in Bisbee. AZ is on standard time so it
started at 1814 hours. Clear air and altitude give us a good view. My
windshield is facing east so I could watch it rising over the mountains
and for a while afterwards.
LZ
Alan Balmer
2004-10-28 20:45:16 UTC
Post by Kevin W Miller
Oh bummer dood! Well, many won't believe it but, as luck would have it,
we've got gorgeous weather here in the great PNW (neener, neener Mr B.
Hatch!). We're not supposed to see a total eclipse from our neck o' the
woods but I'm gonna see if I can't get some pics of what we do see.
I talked to lady at the doctor's office today who said the dark, rainy
weather here (Phoenix) today reminded her of Seattle.
--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
***@att.net
Kevin W. Miller
2004-10-28 21:26:46 UTC
Post by Kevin W Miller
Oh bummer dood! Well, many won't believe it but, as luck would have
it, we've got gorgeous weather here in the great PNW (neener, neener
Mr B. Hatch!). We're not supposed to see a total eclipse from our
neck o' the woods but I'm gonna see if I can't get some pics of what
we do see.
I talked to lady at the doctor's office today who said the dark, rainy
weather here (Phoenix) today reminded her of Seattle.
Good grief! She really must have been depressed! Tell her to partake a bit
of the nitrous.

<vbg>

Kevin W. Miller

Alan Balmer
2004-10-28 20:43:14 UTC
Post by Kevin W. Miller
http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/LEmono/TLE2004Oct28/image/TLE2004Oct-PDT.GIF
Total begins at 19:23 PDT and partial at 18:14 PDT.
Kevin W. Miller
Well, darn it. Don't know if you can hear this wind howl over the
ether, but as luck would have it dark clouds started moving in about
30 minutes ago. I doubt I'll even see the moon tonight. In fact if
this wind keeps up I'll probably take down the antenna and miss Jim
Lehrer.
The last two nights have been remarkably clear, still, and bright here
on Lake Powell. But not for the Eclipse. O noooo.
Same here. It's almost never overcast in Phoenix. Except last night.
Post by Bob Giddings
It could be worse, I guess. I'm cutting up a bunch of home fries, and
there's plenty of ketchup.
Heinz? Did Teresa get a nickel from you?
--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting
***@att.net
Lone Haranguer
2004-10-27 16:25:31 UTC
Post by Kevin W. Miller
Europe and much of Africa also get a good view of the eclipse, but at a less
convenient time: before dawn on the morning of October 28th."
Goody, another lunar eclipse. Thanks GW.
LZ
Alan Balmer
2004-10-27 18:40:48 UTC
Post by Kevin W. Miller
http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/eclipses/article_1340_1.asp
Here in AZ, it will start before moonrise, but we'll see most of it.
--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting