Powerstar inverter
lars
2005-05-10 16:26:37 UTC
Hi,
New to the group. A pipe broke in my utility shed and the water ruined
my UPG 1300. The magic smoke got out and everything :-). I am having a
heck of a time finding a phone number that works for PowerStar Products

Incorporated. Does anyone on this group know if they still exist as a
company? I only see postings from 4 or 5 years ago.
Did they self-destruct?
Any of you know where I could send this for repair? It was like 800
bucks back in 2001.

Thanks!
Larry in Albuquerque
***@comcast.net
2005-05-10 18:05:46 UTC
I believe Powerstar is defunct. It's not worth repairing. I tossed my
UPG 1300 in the trash several years ago. You can get a better inverter
now for under $200.

lars
2005-05-10 18:46:33 UTC
wow. Thanks for the info.
What do you recommend for modified sine wave 1300 watt inversion these
days?
Lone Haranguer
2005-05-10 19:08:12 UTC
Post by lars
wow. Thanks for the info.
What do you recommend for modified sine wave 1300 watt inversion these
days?
I think Wal-Mart sells a brand known as "El Crapo". You can bring it
back (no questions asked) if the smoke escapes in the first 10 minutes.

Anything over 10 minutes they will have questions about what stupid
thing you did to cause the smoke problem.

Seriously; here's a sample from Google.

http://www.donrowe.com/inverters/inverters.html
LZ
2005-05-11 02:01:13 UTC
I like the Vector units. Inexpensive and they seem to be well built. My
solar house runs on a 3000 watt unit 24/7. They make all sizes.

I also have a couple Xantrex 1000 watt inverters that work great. $69
at Costco. I have run my standard old washing machine on one and it
powers it better then the old 1300 watt Powerstar did.

Last time I was at Costco I saw they had Xantrex 1500 watt or was it
2000 watt models for $89.

lars
2005-05-11 23:13:31 UTC
Thanks guys. I just ordered a Xantrax from DonRowe for 229. Is seems to
fit the need and it Xantrex is still in business.
Neon John
2005-05-12 04:10:34 UTC
Ummmm, googling for "powerstar products" hits
http://www.powerstarinc.com as the very first hit.

That thing isn't worth fixing. Sam's Club has a 1500 watt inverter
(Vector brand I think) for $99. I just bought one and installed it in
my cube van. It performs as advertised, easily running my electric
chainsaw, leaf blower and 3 500 watt halogen lamps.

John
Post by lars
Hi,
New to the group. A pipe broke in my utility shed and the water ruined
my UPG 1300. The magic smoke got out and everything :-). I am having a
heck of a time finding a phone number that works for PowerStar Products
Incorporated. Does anyone on this group know if they still exist as a
company? I only see postings from 4 or 5 years ago.
Did they self-destruct?
Any of you know where I could send this for repair? It was like 800
bucks back in 2001.
Thanks!
Larry in Albuquerque
---
John De Armond
***@johngsbbq.com
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
<Stan Birch>
2005-05-12 19:00:20 UTC
Post by Neon John
That thing isn't worth fixing. Sam's Club has a 1500 watt inverter
(Vector brand I think) for $99.
The "Vector" is a no-name cover-all name for Chinese stuff; whereas
Xantrex, is a respected brand-name for for the same no-name Chinese
stuff. :-0