Winter Motorhome Suggestions Wanted
w***@yahoo.com
2005-07-31 12:03:05 UTC
I am thinking of buying a new gas motorhome with an artic package or a
few year old pusher. I am planning to spend some time in New England
this winter skiing. I realize neither motorhome is ideal for snow
driving, but was wondering what others experiances have been. I am a
little concerned with starting a diesel when it is -20. Suggestions
for brand or type wanted.
Chris Bryant
2005-07-31 12:19:53 UTC
I am thinking of buying a new gas motorhome with an artic package or a few
year old pusher. I am planning to spend some time in New England this
winter skiing.
<<..>>
http://www.tripleerv.com/index.html
--
Chris Bryant
http://bryantrv.com
Lindakay
2005-07-31 12:56:28 UTC
Post by w***@yahoo.com
I am thinking of buying a new gas motorhome with an artic package or a
few year old pusher. I am planning to spend some time in New England
this winter skiing. I realize neither motorhome is ideal for snow
driving, but was wondering what others experiances have been. I am a
little concerned with starting a diesel when it is -20. Suggestions
for brand or type wanted.
Considering your post from PA, I suppose you could check with CG
owners of the areas you wish to travel - most email addresses for
campgrounds for RVs can be located online. If you have any campground
affiliations at all, check with them as well.

I recommend you first visit http://www.woodalls.com for campground
info for contacting fht owners/websites regarding the types of
motorhomes folks winter in around Maine.

That's what I'd do.

Some people on this group would know these things better than I - as I
can't fathom spending a winter in a motorhome in sub-zero temperatures
and mounds of snow, let alone even skiing at my age anymore either!!
LOL I preferred the skilodge to a motorhome.....I'd miss the
crackling fireplace and hot toddys. :)

.......and I do hope you enjoy this fun while you can. :)

Lindakay
w***@yahoo.com
2005-07-31 13:14:50 UTC
Thank you for the suggestion. We spent 4 days in Maine in March skiing
from our motorhome and had a great time. We could park near the lift
right on the shuttle route. In March we did not drive in snow and it
only got down to 20. We are planning Thanksgiving, Christmas and
Spring again with maybe a few long weekend trips.
Steve Wolf
2005-07-31 14:15:03 UTC
You'd be surprised how good a motorhome drives in the snow. We have, on the
approach of a winter storm, taken time off, loaded the skis and sleds and
headed out to the campground. We end up covered with a substantial amount
of snow. Some would say we get dumped on as we head into the Lake Erie snow
belt. A few days later it's all plowed out, salted and we head home.

Steve
www.wolfswords.com under the motorhome link
Steve Wolf
2005-07-31 14:10:02 UTC
Check out my winter camping pages at www.wolfswords.com under the motorhome
link. You need to insure that the manufacturer is one who intends their
product to be used in the winter. When I was checking out one particularly
5er (in a misinformed experiment to see if a 5er would be better for me) I
ran upon a Hitchhiker. I found that they sent their engineers into the
Rockies to test and confirm their construction. Perhaps the engineers
deemed an artic vacation was in order. No matter, I was impressed. My
experiences confirmed that their product appeared well built for such an
application. My Winnebagoes have been excellent in up to minus 18 F
temperatures. Granted, at those temperatures you're pulling some power for
heat, but it held up quite well. I've been out in below zero temperatures
often. For gosh sakes, make sure you can shower, use the toilet, and get a
drink of water from the tap. The inability to use water in the winter would
make our jaunts much less comfortable.

Without water you might as well relegate yourself to a Class B. <That was a
troll for some local nitwits I won't see anyway.>

Some ski resorts maintain full hookups, including water, in below zero. You
have to wrap the hoses or only take on water but it is nice to see people
who know how to camp do so in a place that knows how to run a campground.

Steve
for brand or type wanted.
Jon Porter
2005-08-01 04:06:11 UTC
Post by Steve Wolf
Without water you might as well relegate yourself to a Class B. <That was
a troll for some local nitwits I won't see anyway.>
I have winter camped in my Class B during the annual Hocking Hills Winter
Hike weekend. With water on board. All of the plumbing is internal above the
deck except for the holding tanks.
--
Jon
JPinOH
Dick Tennent
2005-07-31 16:05:15 UTC
I would look at the following product for keeping your tanks and lines warm
http://www.ultraheat.com/ For any diesel make sure that it has a block
heater connection. This will ensure that the diesel will start in any
weather. If buying a used pusher check that the block does indeed work
(some people have disconnected them).

Dick
for brand or type wanted.
Steve Wolf
2005-07-31 16:27:19 UTC
A friend used heating pads on his exposed holding tanks. He then insulated
and boxed the tanks. He was good to as low as it could go. You might make
sure the heating pads have thermostats on them. I know I would forget to
turn them on or turn them off. A past model I had sported external tanks
I'd let freeze solid. When arriving home I'd thaw them with a torpedo
heater. It worked great and, no, I never broke any pipes. Thawing them out
was a pain. If I had exposed tanks I'd do what my friend did.

As you are looking for a Class A diesel pusher, just heat the basement and
you'll be fine. You can either stick a heater down there or pump hot air
from the passenger cab into the basement. I wouldn't trust that simple
convection would keep you warm on that ten-below night.

Steve
www.wolfswords.com under the motorhome link

For you no-sayers: No, you can't camp in the winter. Stay home! Winterize
your box and never look at it until spring. There are already too many
people camping in the winter. We need no more clogging up the campgrounds.
w***@yahoo.com
2005-08-01 00:09:11 UTC
Steve,

Thank you for the input. I will save your tips on winterizing, I find
that the most challenging.

Bob
c***@sbcglobal.net
2005-08-01 05:54:31 UTC
Post by w***@yahoo.com
Steve,
Thank you for the input. I will save your tips on winterizing, I find
that the most challenging.
Bob
I spent a winter in Sturgis SD in my motorcoach, complete with snow,
and occasional sub-zero temperatures.

Our tanks and indoor plumbing were heated internally, so all we did to
accommodate the weather was leave a small lamp lit in the water
hookup/tank drainage compartment, drained the outside water hose every
night, and hung a heavy blanket over the inside of the windshield.

Forgot to drain the hose once and discovered the joy of trying to
defrost fifty feet of hose filled with solid ice: lots of muttering
about who forgot to drain the hose, while waving the hair dryer back
and forth.

Canoli
Thomas Marik
2005-08-01 15:56:53 UTC
Post by c***@sbcglobal.net
Post by w***@yahoo.com
Steve,
Thank you for the input. I will save your tips on winterizing, I find
that the most challenging.
Bob
I spent a winter in Sturgis SD in my motorcoach, complete with snow,
and occasional sub-zero temperatures.
Our tanks and indoor plumbing were heated internally, so all we did to
accommodate the weather was leave a small lamp lit in the water
hookup/tank drainage compartment, drained the outside water hose every
night, and hung a heavy blanket over the inside of the windshield.
Forgot to drain the hose once and discovered the joy of trying to
defrost fifty feet of hose filled with solid ice: lots of muttering
about who forgot to drain the hose, while waving the hair dryer back
and forth.
Canoli
I didn't drain my hose on Christmas Eve, an all time record snowfall.
Had to live off the tank till ten in the morning when most of the snow
melted and so did my hose.

Winters are tough in Rio Hondo, Texas!

Tom M
Road Princess
2005-08-02 13:27:38 UTC
Post by Thomas Marik
I didn't drain my hose on Christmas Eve, an all time record snowfall.
Had to live off the tank till ten in the morning when most of the snow
melted and so did my hose.
Winters are tough in Rio Hondo, Texas!
Our hose didn't freeze and we were right across the street.

The toughest thing about winter in Rio Hondo is deciding which place has
what music and/or dinner specials on what night.

Viva le East Side Gang! (let Tom explain this one)

Janet

04 Allegro Bay 37D
05 Honda Civic sedan
RORT friends to help answer my questions

--
Sent via Travel Newsgroups
http://www.travelnewsgroups.com
The Lone Haranguer
2005-08-02 13:59:30 UTC
Post by Road Princess
Post by Thomas Marik
Winters are tough in Rio Hondo, Texas!
Our hose didn't freeze and we were right across the street.
The toughest thing about winter in Rio Hondo is deciding which place has
what music and/or dinner specials on what night.
Viva le East Side Gang! (let Tom explain this one)
We've heard rumors about decadent RVers in that area.

Now we know they were right on. When Margaritas are mixed in 5 gallon
buckets, the neighbors are bound to talk.

And who WAS that dancing "The Boomer" on a picnic table? Apparently
the word got out and a local reverend gave a sermon that likened it to
Sodom and Gomorrah... before the reform committee took action.
LZ
Flo Cala
2005-08-01 18:22:39 UTC
Post by c***@sbcglobal.net
Forgot to drain the hose once and discovered the joy of trying to
defrost fifty feet of hose filled with solid ice: lots of muttering
about who forgot to drain the hose, while waving the hair dryer back
and forth.
We stayed a May night in an RV park 50 miles south of the Grand
Canyon. The sun was starting to warm things up by the time we were
ready to leave. I used a towel to protect my hands to unhook and coil
up the ice filled water hose and stiff electric cord. The tanks had
been emptied previously, so the sewer hose wasn't out. Bob couldn't
take the altitude and cold with his COPD. I found the sun and brisk
air exhilarating.

-Dot, in Florida where we *might* run a light bulb for warmth in the
MH December to February.
Lon VanOstran
2005-08-01 22:09:10 UTC
I found the sun and brisk air exhilarating.
It causes me to issue a few expletives too. <g>

Lon
Flo Cala
2005-08-02 03:45:55 UTC
Post by Lon VanOstran
I found the sun and brisk air exhilarating.
It causes me to issue a few expletives too. <g>
Lon
From WordWeb:
Adjective: exhilarating
1. Making lively and cheerful
"the exhilarating effect of mountain air"

Lon, I can find damn few things at my age "exhilarating"! <g>

-Dot
Lon VanOstran
2005-08-02 11:44:54 UTC
Post by Flo Cala
Post by Lon VanOstran
I found the sun and brisk air exhilarating.
It causes me to issue a few expletives too. <g>
Lon
Adjective: exhilarating
1. Making lively and cheerful
"the exhilarating effect of mountain air"
Lon, I can find damn few things at my age "exhilarating"! <g>
-Dot
Go stand at Muley Point (4 miles west on the gravel road just north of
the Moki Dugway in Southern Utah) and gawk at the canyons.

Lon
Frank Tabor
2005-08-02 23:13:18 UTC
On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 07:44:54 -0400, Lon VanOstran
Post by Lon VanOstran
Post by Flo Cala
Post by Lon VanOstran
I found the sun and brisk air exhilarating.
It causes me to issue a few expletives too. <g>
Lon
Adjective: exhilarating
1. Making lively and cheerful
"the exhilarating effect of mountain air"
Lon, I can find damn few things at my age "exhilarating"! <g>
-Dot
Go stand at Muley Point (4 miles west on the gravel road just north of
the Moki Dugway in Southern Utah) and gawk at the canyons.
Lon
That is a hell of a view. Right into Monument Valley.
Frank Tabor
bill horne
2005-08-02 23:32:39 UTC
Post by Lon VanOstran
Go stand at Muley Point (4 miles west on the gravel road just north of
the Moki Dugway in Southern Utah) and gawk at the canyons.
Lon
That is a hell of a view. Right into Monument Valley.
And from Muley Point, you can see Johns Canyon Rd below - which I'm
gonna go down next trip. If it doesn't rain. And the van doesn't break.
--
bill
Frank Tabor
2005-08-03 00:11:42 UTC
Post by Lon VanOstran
Go stand at Muley Point (4 miles west on the gravel road just north of
the Moki Dugway in Southern Utah) and gawk at the canyons.
Lon
That is a hell of a view. Right into Monument Valley.
And from Muley Point, you can see Johns Canyon Rd below - which I'm
gonna go down next trip. If it doesn't rain. And the van doesn't break.
All the way to Slickhorn Canyon?
Frank Tabor
bill horne
2005-08-03 04:45:28 UTC
Post by Frank Tabor
Post by Lon VanOstran
Go stand at Muley Point (4 miles west on the gravel road just north of
the Moki Dugway in Southern Utah) and gawk at the canyons.
Lon
That is a hell of a view. Right into Monument Valley.
And from Muley Point, you can see Johns Canyon Rd below - which I'm
gonna go down next trip. If it doesn't rain. And the van doesn't break.
All the way to Slickhorn Canyon?
Not if it means a long walk.
--
bill
Kevin W. Miller
2005-08-03 04:51:30 UTC
<snip>
Post by bill horne
Post by Frank Tabor
Post by bill horne
And from Muley Point, you can see Johns Canyon Rd below - which I'm
gonna go down next trip. If it doesn't rain. And the van doesn't break.
All the way to Slickhorn Canyon?
Not if it means a long walk.
Take the walk. You might trip over that missing epiphany.

Kevin W. Miller
Frank Tabor
2005-08-03 18:00:02 UTC
Post by bill horne
Post by Frank Tabor
Post by Lon VanOstran
Go stand at Muley Point (4 miles west on the gravel road just north of
the Moki Dugway in Southern Utah) and gawk at the canyons.
Lon
That is a hell of a view. Right into Monument Valley.
And from Muley Point, you can see Johns Canyon Rd below - which I'm
gonna go down next trip. If it doesn't rain. And the van doesn't break.
All the way to Slickhorn Canyon?
Not if it means a long walk.
Good, that road goes to shit about halfway to SlickRock. Looking at
it on the 3d Earth viewer, that road is just barely cut into the side
of the escarpment.
Frank Tabor
bill horne
2005-08-04 04:44:55 UTC
Post by Frank Tabor
Post by bill horne
Post by Frank Tabor
All the way to Slickhorn Canyon?
Not if it means a long walk.
Good, that road goes to shit about halfway to SlickRock. Looking at
it on the 3d Earth viewer, that road is just barely cut into the side
of the escarpment.
When roads go to shit, I go to reverse.
--
bill
Lon VanOstran
2005-08-03 02:18:23 UTC
Post by bill horne
Post by Frank Tabor
Post by Lon VanOstran
Go stand at Muley Point (4 miles west on the gravel road just north
of the Moki Dugway in Southern Utah) and gawk at the canyons.
Lon
That is a hell of a view. Right into Monument Valley.
And from Muley Point, you can see Johns Canyon Rd below - which I'm
gonna go down next trip. If it doesn't rain. And the van doesn't break.
I may do that, but first I have to drive Schaefer road down through
Canyonlands. Standing there looking at that road was when I just KNEW we
were going to get the fifth wheel and 4 wheel drive truck. <g>

Lon
bill horne
2005-08-03 14:35:27 UTC
Post by Lon VanOstran
Post by bill horne
Post by Frank Tabor
Post by Lon VanOstran
Go stand at Muley Point (4 miles west on the gravel road just north
of the Moki Dugway in Southern Utah) and gawk at the canyons.
Lon
That is a hell of a view. Right into Monument Valley.
And from Muley Point, you can see Johns Canyon Rd below - which I'm
gonna go down next trip. If it doesn't rain. And the van doesn't break.
I may do that, but first I have to drive Schaefer road down through
Canyonlands. Standing there looking at that road was when I just KNEW we
were going to get the fifth wheel and 4 wheel drive truck. <g>
Lon
I got 7 miles down that one in my van.
--
bill
Lon VanOstran
2005-08-03 17:21:50 UTC
Post by bill horne
Post by Lon VanOstran
I may do that, but first I have to drive Schaefer road down through
Canyonlands. Standing there looking at that road was when I just KNEW
we were going to get the fifth wheel and 4 wheel drive truck. <g>
Lon
I got 7 miles down that one in my van.
Hah! I took one look at the 6" of ground clearance we had with the
Alero, and decided that trying it would leave us sitting on top of a rut
somewhere along the way, and no shovel in sight. No chance. We're going
back with our truck.

Lon
bill horne
2005-08-04 04:47:55 UTC
Post by Lon VanOstran
Post by bill horne
Post by Lon VanOstran
I may do that, but first I have to drive Schaefer road down through
Canyonlands. Standing there looking at that road was when I just KNEW
we were going to get the fifth wheel and 4 wheel drive truck. <g>
Lon
I got 7 miles down that one in my van.
Hah! I took one look at the 6" of ground clearance we had with the
Alero, and decided that trying it would leave us sitting on top of a rut
somewhere along the way, and no shovel in sight. No chance. We're going
back with our truck.
Lon
Except for two places, you might have made it in the Alero. But
forget the shovel - you'd need a jackhammer.
--
bill
Lon VanOstran
2005-08-04 11:53:20 UTC
Except for two places, you might have made it in the Alero. But forget
the shovel - you'd need a jackhammer.
"Except for." Seems like famous last words to me.

Lon
Frank Tabor
2005-08-03 18:05:35 UTC
On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 22:18:23 -0400, Lon VanOstran
Post by Lon VanOstran
Post by bill horne
Post by Frank Tabor
Post by Lon VanOstran
Go stand at Muley Point (4 miles west on the gravel road just north
of the Moki Dugway in Southern Utah) and gawk at the canyons.
Lon
That is a hell of a view. Right into Monument Valley.
And from Muley Point, you can see Johns Canyon Rd below - which I'm
gonna go down next trip. If it doesn't rain. And the van doesn't break.
I may do that, but first I have to drive Schaefer road down through
Canyonlands. Standing there looking at that road was when I just KNEW we
were going to get the fifth wheel and 4 wheel drive truck. <g>
Lon
I looked at that road also. I don't think my long bed crew cab dually
would make some of the turns on the switchbacks without backing and
filling.

However, if you trace those roads out, there is a way to come in from
over near Moab or The Needles.

I looked on Topo, but I can't find the way in. I'll have to look on
the brochure, it showed another easier way in for the faint of heart.
Frank Tabor
Cliff
2005-08-03 18:58:55 UTC
Post by Frank Tabor
On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 22:18:23 -0400, Lon VanOstran
snip <
I looked on Topo, but I can't find the way in. I'll have to look on
the brochure, it showed another easier way in for the faint of heart.
Please do that, I definitely fall into that category!

Cliff in FL
--
Our Web Page http://www.cj-and-m.com
.
never become a reality. Louis L'Amour (1908 - 1988)
Lon VanOstran
2005-08-03 19:09:10 UTC
Post by Frank Tabor
I looked at that road also. I don't think my long bed crew cab dually
would make some of the turns on the switchbacks without backing and
filling.
However, if you trace those roads out, there is a way to come in from
over near Moab or The Needles.
I looked on Topo, but I can't find the way in. I'll have to look on
the brochure, it showed another easier way in for the faint of heart.
They used to take big trucks up an down those roads. I can't imagine any
pickup which couldn't go down it. I wouldn't hesitate for a nanosecond
with our extended cab long box.

Lon
bill horne
2005-08-04 04:52:02 UTC
Post by Lon VanOstran
Post by Frank Tabor
I looked at that road also. I don't think my long bed crew cab dually
would make some of the turns on the switchbacks without backing and
filling.
However, if you trace those roads out, there is a way to come in from
over near Moab or The Needles.
I looked on Topo, but I can't find the way in. I'll have to look on
the brochure, it showed another easier way in for the faint of heart.
They used to take big trucks up an down those roads. I can't imagine any
pickup which couldn't go down it. I wouldn't hesitate for a nanosecond
with our extended cab long box.
Lon
As I recall, there were a couple of pretty tight switchbacks going
down - and I was in a 16-ft van. But as Frank said, nothing that
couldn't be easily backed and filled.
--
bill
Lon VanOstran
2005-08-03 02:14:44 UTC
Post by Frank Tabor
Post by Lon VanOstran
Go stand at Muley Point (4 miles west on the gravel road just north of
the Moki Dugway in Southern Utah) and gawk at the canyons.
Lon
That is a hell of a view. Right into Monument Valley.
All these months later, I still get goose bumps just thinking about that
view.

Lon
bill horne
2005-08-03 14:41:15 UTC
Post by Lon VanOstran
Post by Frank Tabor
Post by Lon VanOstran
Go stand at Muley Point (4 miles west on the gravel road just north
of the Moki Dugway in Southern Utah) and gawk at the canyons.
Lon
That is a hell of a view. Right into Monument Valley.
All these months later, I still get goose bumps just thinking about that
view.
Lon
If you go back, there are a few places to flatspot several hundred
yards back up the road from the point. As I recall, you could
probably get in one them with your fiver.
--
bill
Lon VanOstran
2005-08-03 17:24:34 UTC
If you go back, there are a few places to flatspot several hundred yards
back up the road from the point. As I recall, you could probably get in
one them with your fiver.
Flat spot? Is there a current bush there? <g>

Lon
Frank Tabor
2005-08-03 19:16:27 UTC
On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 13:24:34 -0400, Lon VanOstran
Post by Lon VanOstran
If you go back, there are a few places to flatspot several hundred yards
back up the road from the point. As I recall, you could probably get in
one them with your fiver.
Flat spot? Is there a current bush there? <g>
Lon
No, but Yamaha and Honda sell them.
Frank Tabor
Lon VanOstran
2005-08-03 20:31:53 UTC
Post by Frank Tabor
Post by Lon VanOstran
Flat spot? Is there a current bush there? <g>
Lon
No, but Yamaha and Honda sell them.
I have one, but for AC I would need another. I think it's cheaper to
rent a current bush which I don't have to mess with.

Lon
bill horne
2005-08-04 04:57:11 UTC
Post by Lon VanOstran
Post by bill horne
If you go back, there are a few places to flatspot several hundred
yards back up the road from the point. As I recall, you could probably
get in one them with your fiver.
Flat spot? Is there a current bush there? <g>
Lon
Ain't you got batriz?
--
bill
Lon VanOstran
2005-08-04 11:55:02 UTC
Post by bill horne
Post by Lon VanOstran
Flat spot? Is there a current bush there? <g>
Lon
Ain't you got batriz?
Yep. But they don't run the microwave and AC fer shit.

Lon
bill horne
2005-08-04 15:58:54 UTC
Post by Lon VanOstran
Post by bill horne
Post by Lon VanOstran
Flat spot? Is there a current bush there? <g>
Lon
Ain't you got batriz?
Yep. But they don't run the microwave and AC fer shit.
Lon
AC? Microwave? Whazzem?
--
bill
Lon VanOstran

Lon
Flo Cala
2005-08-03 14:23:01 UTC
Post by Lon VanOstran
Go stand at Muley Point (4 miles west on the gravel road just north
of the Moki Dugway in Southern Utah) and gawk at the canyons.
Lon
You going to take me there? Bob's O2 hose won't reach! <g> When seeing
humongous sights of nature such as you describe, another word is
"awesome" to describe the indescribable.

Much is awesome to me in my now limited world: the little red summer
tanager inches from my porch screen eating dried stuff on vines, the
cavorting squirrels in the back yard, the swallowtail butterfly I
photographed, the bird in a hanging plant devouring wasps and their
nest, the activities of our three cats, etc. Then there're manmade
awesome creations -- a long list: space travel, computerized
whatevers, tools, communication devices, etc.

I've been very fortunate to travel across the USA, been to Canada,
Bahamas,Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Belgium, and France. Now I
content myself with home activities. I'm glad you are able to journey.

-Dot
c***@sbcglobal.net
2005-08-03 17:58:06 UTC
On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 10:23:01 -0400, "Flo Cala"
Post by Flo Cala
You going to take me there? Bob's O2 hose won't reach! <g> When seeing
humongous sights of nature such as you describe, another word is
"awesome" to describe the indescribable.
I've been very fortunate to travel across the USA, been to Canada,
Bahamas,Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Belgium, and France. Now I
content myself with home activities. I'm glad you are able to journey.
-Dot
There's no reason to stay home because of Bob's O2 requirements, Dot:
we drove over by car to Las Vegas and spent some time, bringing the
concentrator for nights and a few dozen bottles for walking around.
Would have taken the MH but breaking down and setting up twice in just
a few days wasn't attractive, since we have lamps, pictures, and it
seems to me thousands of knick-knacks all over the place.

Canoli
Hunter
2005-08-04 00:21:41 UTC
Post by w***@yahoo.com
and it
seems to me thousands of knick-knacks all over the place.
Canoli
Dustables! Get museum putty...or double sided tape.

Hunter

http://members.aol.com/hhamp5246/roadtrip2005.htm

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body,
but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shit...what a ride!"
Road Princess
2005-08-04 11:33:46 UTC
Post by Hunter
Post by w***@yahoo.com
and it
seems to me thousands of knick-knacks all over the place.
Canoli
Dustables! Get museum putty...or double sided tape.
Hunter
I'll vote for the Museum Putty. The only things that did not fly in the
wreck were those held with Museum Putty and Thumb Locks (both of these
are registered trademarks, IIRC). They make a clear Museum Gel, for use
on glass shelves. Double-sided tape did not hold up as well.

The other 'stick-em-down' trick that Hunter and most Airstreamers know
is hook side of hook and loop (TM Velcro) fastener on the RV ceiling
carpet. Some Airstreams have the carpet on their walls. I line my
shelves with RV ceiling carpet and use the hook side of Velcro stuck to
the bottom of things to keep them in place on shelves. The carpet, held
down with a decent brand of carpet tape, does not shift about like the
rubberized non-slip stuff and is easy to vacuum with a hand vac. It
will absorb small spills or leaks and can just be replaced or cleaned
with Spot Shot(TM), the greatest carpet cleaner known to human-kind.

Thomas Marik
2005-08-04 11:38:13 UTC
Post by Road Princess
Post by Hunter
Post by w***@yahoo.com
[...]
I went with Goop RV adhesive for nick-nacks. It keeps redecorating to a
minimum.

Tom
Hunter
2005-08-04 17:03:27 UTC
On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 11:33:46 GMT, Road Princess
Post by Road Princess
The other 'stick-em-down' trick that Hunter and most Airstreamers know
is hook side of hook and loop (TM Velcro) fastener on the RV ceiling
carpet. Some Airstreams have the carpet on their walls.
I do.... or did. I covered all of it with wood and now it looks
paneled.

As I said to the president of Airstream, "I covered all the "cheesy"
carpet on my walls.

Bob Thomas
2005-08-04 18:46:09 UTC
Post by Road Princess
The other 'stick-em-down' trick that Hunter and most Airstreamers know
is hook side of hook and loop (TM Velcro) fastener on the RV ceiling
carpet. Some Airstreams have the carpet on their walls.
I do.... or did. I covered all of it with wood and now it looks
paneled.
As I said to the president of Airstream, "I covered all the "cheesy"
carpet on my walls.
Did you get your water pump fixed??

cheers

bob
Hunter
2005-08-04 20:42:28 UTC
Post by Bob Thomas
Did you get your water pump fixed??
Nope. I've lived for the last 6 years without it so I'll worry about
it when I get back to Florida. Unless I go through that town in
Kansas where the nice RV service place is... if I go that way I'll get
a new one installed there.

I guess it's true... that old saying, Use it or lose it."

<g>

Jon Porter
2005-08-05 05:23:56 UTC
Post by Hunter
Post by Bob Thomas
Did you get your water pump fixed??
Nope. I've lived for the last 6 years without it so I'll worry about
it when I get back to Florida. Unless I go through that town in
Kansas where the nice RV service place is... if I go that way I'll get
a new one installed there.
I guess it's true... that old saying, Use it or lose it."
Well - the item that is usually referred to by that quite is also a pump.
--
Jon
JPinOH
Road Princess
2005-08-04 21:03:24 UTC
Post by Road Princess
The other 'stick-em-down' trick that Hunter and most Airstreamers know
is hook side of hook and loop (TM Velcro) fastener on the RV ceiling
carpet. Some Airstreams have the carpet on their walls.
I do.... or did. I covered all of it with wood and now it looks
paneled.
As I said to the president of Airstream, "I covered all the "cheesy"
carpet on my walls.
The cheesy carpet makes excellent drawer and shelf lining. Thank
goodness Tiffin, the manufacturer of my motorhome, had the good sense to
use the padded vinyl stuff on the ceiling like I had on the Kountry
Aire. It amazes me why a ceiling would have carpet, especially over the
stove and near the roof vents where it collects dirt that is difficult
to clean.

JMHO,
Janet

04 Allegro Bay 37D; $$
05 Honda Civic sedan; $
RORT friends to help answer my questions; priceless

Hunter
2005-08-05 03:38:42 UTC
On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 21:03:24 GMT, Road Princess
Post by Road Princess
The cheesy carpet makes excellent drawer and shelf lining. Thank
goodness Tiffin, the manufacturer of my motorhome, had the good sense to
use the padded vinyl stuff on the ceiling like I had on the Kountry
Aire. It amazes me why a ceiling would have carpet, especially over the
stove and near the roof vents where it collects dirt that is difficult
to clean.>
My ceilings are the white vinyl... the walls were the cheesy white
carpet.

The wood looks much better!

Flo Cala
2005-08-04 07:25:21 UTC
Post by c***@sbcglobal.net
There's no reason to stay home because of Bob's O2 requirements,
Dot: we drove over by car to Las Vegas and spent some time,
bringing the concentrator for nights and a few dozen bottles for
walking around. Would have taken the MH but breaking down and
setting up twice in just a few days wasn't attractive, since we
have lamps, pictures, and it seems to me thousands of knick-knacks
all over the place.
Canoli
Apparently you meant leaving home by other than RV as you didn't use
yours due to aggravations of breaking down and setting up! For
unexpected trips, you could stuff most breakables into quilts and
towels and hide them in baskets under the bed. Yet, with a condo to
stay in like your recent short trip, I admit it's easier than taking
your "house." Did you take the cat?

We have three cats (nearly impossible to catch and no recent shots)
that have to go with us -- short or long trips. Everything in MH has
to be replaced, rechecked, etc. That's par for the course, but it's so
much more with the meds and equipment. He has the big concentrator,
nebulizer, many large E tanks, and two types of conserving pendants.
He wants a small LOX tank like the big one he has for the heavy little
portable. Have you seen the "pink bone" conserver worn under the nose?
It is ugly! I don't blame him for not wanting to wear that one..

Besides all that... He gets ill often as he did today. I forgot to
call the RV service place. Then there's the ongoing trouble of my new
embroidery machine. And payments for the new refrigerator. The MH
helped there by storing our food until the new fridge arrived. Travel?

-Dot
Lon VanOstran
2005-08-03 17:19:44 UTC
Post by Flo Cala
You going to take me there? Bob's O2 hose won't reach! <g> When seeing
humongous sights of nature such as you describe, another word is
"awesome" to describe the indescribable.
Much is awesome to me in my now limited world: the little red summer
tanager inches from my porch screen eating dried stuff on vines, the
cavorting squirrels in the back yard, the swallowtail butterfly I
photographed, the bird in a hanging plant devouring wasps and their
nest, the activities of our three cats, etc. Then there're manmade
awesome creations -- a long list: space travel, computerized
whatevers, tools, communication devices, etc.
I've been very fortunate to travel across the USA, been to Canada,
Bahamas,Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, Belgium, and France. Now I
content myself with home activities. I'm glad you are able to journey.
It's also pretty awesome that you Carl, and Cliff are in FL, Hunter,
Dick, and Bob Thomas are in Colorado, or is it Utah, Bob Hatch and Hugh
are in New York, Will is in PA, Bruce in Las Vegas, bill in GA, LZ in
Minnesota, Bill Boyd in Texas, I'm in Michigan, and others at most
points in between, and we are communicating like this as old friends
nearly in real time. Ain't life grand? Oh, and where the hell is Nate?

Lon
Carl A.
2005-08-03 18:53:18 UTC
Post by Lon VanOstran
It's also pretty awesome that you Carl, and Cliff are in FL, Hunter,
Dick, and Bob Thomas are in Colorado, or is it Utah, Bob Hatch and
Hugh are in New York, Will is in PA, Bruce in Las Vegas, bill in GA,
LZ in Minnesota, Bill Boyd in Texas, I'm in Michigan, and others at
most points in between, and we are communicating like this as old
friends nearly in real time. Ain't life grand? Oh, and where the hell
is Nate?
Lon
Nate is in Nevada.
--
Carl A. in FL
Enjoy photo-journals of my travels at
http://sky.prohosting.com/chainfl/index.htm
Cliff
2005-08-03 19:01:36 UTC
Post by Lon VanOstran
It's also pretty awesome that you Carl, and Cliff are in FL, Hunter,
Dick, and Bob Thomas are in Colorado, or is it Utah, Bob Hatch and
Hugh are in New York, Will is in PA, Bruce in Las Vegas, bill in GA,
LZ in Minnesota, Bill Boyd in Texas, I'm in Michigan, and others at
most points in between, and we are communicating like this as old
friends nearly in real time. Ain't life grand? Oh, and where the hell
is Nate?
Lon
Ain't that the truth! Who wudda thunk it, back in 1970, when this thing got
started.
Cliff in FL
The Lone Haranguer
2005-08-04 01:20:13 UTC
Post by Cliff
Ain't that the truth! Who wudda thunk it, back in 1970, when this thing got
started.
Cliff in FL
Our modern day conveniences are all pretty awesome. We drove up to
the cabin today, stopped for gas, dump, water fill and propane. The
propane place was a new stop and it turns out they just do deliveries
and have no place to fill motorhomes. So we gave the guy our cell
phone number and a few hours later he gives us a call, comes to the
cabin and fills us up. Meantime I have my Directv dish receiving
through a narrow gap between the trees and my Direcway internet doing
two way through another gap. I do believe I'm getting spoiled with
all these conveniences. How did we ever get by before they were invented?
LZ
Cliff
2005-08-04 03:12:47 UTC
Post by The Lone Haranguer
Post by Cliff
Ain't that the truth! Who wudda thunk it, back in 1970, when this
thing got started.
Cliff in FL
Our modern day conveniences are all pretty awesome. We drove up to
the cabin today, stopped for gas, dump, water fill and propane. The
propane place was a new stop and it turns out they just do deliveries
and have no place to fill motorhomes. So we gave the guy our cell
phone number and a few hours later he gives us a call, comes to the
cabin and fills us up. Meantime I have my Directv dish receiving
through a narrow gap between the trees and my Direcway internet doing
two way through another gap. I do believe I'm getting spoiled with
all these conveniences. How did we ever get by before they were
invented? LZ
Your nemesis, Lindakay, asked why we don't use landlines in another thread.
With my cellphone, I get internet everywhere except Nebraska, so far, and
with DirecPC, that would be everywhere. I can remember when radio telephone
was the rage, and the first time I was able to talk "around the world" via
radio was a hoot (1957.) Don't care what you "old timers" say, THESE are
the good old days! LOL

Cliff in FL - BTW, thanks for serving in "harm's way" and making it possible
for me to use these modern tools!
--
Our Web Page http://www.cj-and-m.com
.
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an
idiot.
Steven Wright
Frank Tabor
2005-08-03 19:30:07 UTC
On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 13:19:44 -0400, Lon VanOstran
Post by Lon VanOstran
Post by Flo Cala
[...]
Latitude: N37° 12' 19.40"
Longitude: W79° 2' 35.53"
Frank Tabor
Road Princess
2005-08-03 19:48:30 UTC
Post by Lon VanOstran
It's also pretty awesome that you Carl, and Cliff are in FL, Hunter,
Dick, and Bob Thomas are in Colorado, or is it Utah, Bob Hatch and Hugh
are in New York, Will is in PA, Bruce in Las Vegas, bill in GA, LZ in
Minnesota, Bill Boyd in Texas, I'm in Michigan, and others at most
points in between, and we are communicating like this as old friends
nearly in real time. Ain't life grand? Oh, and where the hell is Nate?
Lon
Hey! What about me up here in the Garden State?

I'm munching on the world's best tomatoes and sweet corn not to mention
the ONLY good Neopolitan pizza in the USA.

Cliff
2005-08-03 20:34:27 UTC
Post by Road Princess
Hey! What about me up here in the Garden State?
I'm munching on the world's best tomatoes and sweet corn not to
mention the ONLY good Neopolitan pizza in the USA.
Janet
Now, THAT hurts!

Cliff in FL with Pizza Hut
--
Our Web Page http://www.cj-and-m.com
.

Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel from
coast to coast without seeing anything.
Charles Kuralt
Lon VanOstran
2005-08-03 20:37:13 UTC
Post by Road Princess
Hey! What about me up here in the Garden State?
I'm munching on the world's best tomatoes and sweet corn not to mention
the ONLY good Neopolitan pizza in the USA.
Janet
I just knew that if I listed some and couldn't remember everybody with
this senile old brain, I would be in trouble with those I left out. <g>

Lon
Randy & Cheyanne
2005-08-05 06:53:26 UTC
Flo Cala wrote:wesome" to describe the indescribable.

Much is awesome to me in my now limited world: the little red summer
tanager inches from my porch screen eating dried stuff on vines, the
cavorting squirrels in the back yard, the swallowtail butterfly I
photographed, the bird in a hanging plant devouring wasps and their
nest, the activities of our three cats, etc.

'm glad you are able to recognize the beauty and wonders of the
world that are right outside your door, right at your fingertips.
Sometimes we think we have to travel far to see Gods' beauty,
but if we open our eyes, minds, and hearts, we realize that
wonderful, awesome sights are absolutely everywhere. We just have
to be open to receiving them.e creations -- a long list: space travel,
Lindakay
2005-08-05 10:22:50 UTC
Post by Randy & Cheyanne
Flo Cala wrote:wesome" to describe the indescribable.
Much is awesome to me in my now limited world: the little red summer
tanager inches from my porch screen eating dried stuff on vines, the
cavorting squirrels in the back yard, the swallowtail butterfly I
photographed, the bird in a hanging plant devouring wasps and their
nest, the activities of our three cats, etc.
'm glad you are able to recognize the beauty and wonders of the
world that are right outside your door, right at your fingertips.
Sometimes we think we have to travel far to see Gods' beauty,
but if we open our eyes, minds, and hearts, we realize that
wonderful, awesome sights are absolutely everywhere. We just have
to be open to receiving them.e creations -- a long list: space travel,
Yes, and all of it - are gifts to our senses. We're so fortunate,
aren't we? :)

Enjoy the day.

Lindakay
Flo Cala
2005-08-05 16:39:05 UTC
Post by Randy & Cheyanne
Flo Cala wrote:wesome" to describe the indescribable.
Much is awesome to me in my now limited world: the little red
summer tanager inches from my porch screen . . .snip
'm glad you are able to recognize the beauty and wonders of the
world that are right outside your door, right at your fingertips.
Sometimes we think we have to travel far to see Gods' beauty,
but if we open our eyes, minds, and hearts, we realize that
wonderful, awesome sights are absolutely everywhere. We just have
to be open to receiving them.
Thanks, R&C. I often think about those who *have* to travel in order
to experience a natural world I have in my own yard.
-Dot

c***@sbcglobal.net
2005-08-02 03:40:19 UTC

Post by Flo Cala
up the ice filled water hose and stiff electric cord. The tanks had
been emptied previously, so the sewer hose wasn't out.
Will Sill once called a filled and frozen sewer hose a "poopsicle",
appropriate to the max.

Canoli
William Boyd
2005-08-02 04:03:24 UTC
Post by Flo Cala
up the ice filled water hose and stiff electric cord. The tanks had
been emptied previously, so the sewer hose wasn't out.
Will Sill once called a filled and frozen sewer hose a "poopsicle",
appropriate to the max.
Canoli
Maybe a PO-PE-SICLE
--
BILL P.

2004, 2500 SLT Quad Cab, Dodge Ram,
SLT, SWB, 2WD,
5.9 HO Turbo Diesel, 48RE Auto Trans,
Anti-Spin 3.73 Dif.Rhino Liner,
Husky 16K. Voyager Controller
2005, 27RL Wildcat, DT/PC Wi-Fi.
Dual EU2000i Hondas
Just Me and Dog
Richard Ferguson
2005-08-02 07:01:55 UTC
You might look at the Bigfoot Class C motorhomes. We used to have a
Bigfoot truck camper, used it in the winter in the Colorado mountains,
worked fine. Bigfoots are made in Canada, where winter is long and cold.
A buddy was going to buy a Bigfoot Class C, it was available with 4WD,
I think.

One thing to keep in mind is that many winterized motorhomes require AC
power to heat tanks, etc. Others use the propane furnace to heat the
spaces that contain the tanks and piping. I vote for the propane
furnace system, unless you want to run the generator while driving and
during any other time you were not plugged in. The furnace fan will
eventually crash the batteries if you are not driving, but nice to be
able to leave the unit for the day in a parking lot without having to
worry about freeze up.

I vote for a working water system in the winter, it was nice to have
everything working normally for a January ski trip.

Richard