Olympic Peninsula: restaurants, etc.?
LewBob
2004-08-24 16:33:06 UTC
The wife and I will be hauling our 16-foot Scamp from Colorado to the
Olympic Peninsula in mid-September, staying most of the time at Fort Worden
State Park. It's our first trip in that area and would like some
recommendations on restaurants in the Port Townsend-Port Angeles area. We
may also camp a few nights on the west side on Olympic National Park.
Suggestions for sites and eateries there would be appreciated too.

Lew

(Living near where Bob Giddings is hold up - I'll try to stop by with the
beer before we leave, Bob.)
Kevin W. Miller
2004-08-24 16:56:17 UTC
Post by LewBob
The wife and I will be hauling our 16-foot Scamp from Colorado to the
Olympic Peninsula in mid-September, staying most of the time at Fort
Worden State Park. It's our first trip in that area and would like
some recommendations on restaurants in the Port Townsend-Port Angeles
area. We may also camp a few nights on the west side on Olympic
National Park. Suggestions for sites and eateries there would be
appreciated too.
Lew
(Living near where Bob Giddings is hold up - I'll try to stop by with
the beer before we leave, Bob.)
Heart O' The Hills campground is just west of Port Angeles and a very nice
place to stay. Hurricane Ridge is nearby for views. Also, near Port Angeles
is Dungeness Spit Recreation Area. Nice hike (11 miles RT) on the longest
salt-water sand spit in North America.

If you're coming in mid-Setember don't forget the PNWCO #8 at Deception
Pass.

Have a safe trip.

Kevin W. Miller
Rick J.
2004-08-24 17:26:54 UTC
Post by LewBob
The wife and I will be hauling our 16-foot Scamp from Colorado to the
Olympic Peninsula in mid-September, staying most of the time at Fort Worden
State Park. It's our first trip in that area and would like some
recommendations on restaurants in the Port Townsend-Port Angeles area. We
may also camp a few nights on the west side on Olympic National Park.
Suggestions for sites and eateries there would be appreciated too.
If you like seafood and get anywhere near Sequim, Wa, don't miss the
Three Crabs Restaurant.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/getaways/59055_shorttrips21.shtml

Rick J.
Kevin W. Miller
2004-08-24 17:28:38 UTC
Post by Rick J.
Post by LewBob
The wife and I will be hauling our 16-foot Scamp from Colorado to the
Olympic Peninsula in mid-September, staying most of the time at Fort
Worden State Park. It's our first trip in that area and would like
some recommendations on restaurants in the Port Townsend-Port
Angeles area. We may also camp a few nights on the west side on
Olympic National Park. Suggestions for sites and eateries there
would be appreciated too.
If you like seafood and get anywhere near Sequim, Wa, don't miss the
Three Crabs Restaurant.
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/getaways/59055_shorttrips21.shtml
Rick J.
Whew! For a mmoment there I thought you were going to tell him about those
appendages from the Sodium Chloride ridden H2O amphibians available only in
the Pacific Northwest under the light of a waning moon in the house of
Aquarius while chanting Norwegian beer drinking songs in Pig Latin! Could of
been a breach of security requiring visits from pink helicopters (the black
ones have been repainted in the interest of good taste and fine decor).

Kevin W. Miller
Rick J.
2004-08-24 17:45:51 UTC
Post by Kevin W. Miller
Whew! For a mmoment there I thought you were going to tell him about those
appendages from the Sodium Chloride ridden H2O amphibians available only in
the Pacific Northwest under the light of a waning moon in the house of
Aquarius while chanting Norwegian beer drinking songs in Pig Latin! Could of ved
been a breach of security requiring visits from pink helicopters (the black
ones have been repainted in the interest of good taste and fine decor).
HaHa! Naw, I discounted those wild rumors years ago. But I did hear
that John Kerry lived on them for months while hiding out in the forests
of Cambodia. But he is sworn to secrecy like the rest of us who have
partaken of these culinary delights.

Rick J.
Yofuri
2004-08-24 23:04:14 UTC
You are obviously craving goeducks (panope abrupta) or Banana Slugs (the
State Bird of Washington).

Rick
Post by Kevin W. Miller
Whew! For a mmoment there I thought you were going to tell him about
those appendages from the Sodium Chloride ridden H2O amphibians available
only in the Pacific Northwest under the light of a waning moon in the
house of Aquarius while chanting Norwegian beer drinking songs in Pig
Latin! Could of ved
Rick J.
Nydia White
2004-08-24 17:52:48 UTC
Post by Rick J.
If you like seafood and get anywhere near Sequim, Wa, don't miss the
Three Crabs Restaurant.
I can second the recommendation of the Three Crabs Restaurant. It's quite
good.

A little west of Port Angeles is a nice park called Salt Creek. It is a
campground on the Straight of Juan de Fuca. It is part of the Clallam County
parks system. It has spaces for RV's, although no hook ups. It does have a
dump station.
I have camped (tented) there several times and I enjoy the area and the views.
The following will give you more info about this campground, as well as other
Clallam County parks.
http://www.clallam.net/CountyParks/html/parks_saltcreek.htm
Enjoy this area. I hope that our wonderful summer weather comes back during
your visit.

Nydia White
2003 Coleman Bayside
1998 Chevy Silverado
Washington State
LewBob
2004-08-24 18:29:49 UTC
Post by Nydia White
Post by Rick J.
[...]
Nydia,

What are the odds that "our wonderful summer weather comes back"? If it
doesn't, what kind of weather should I expect in mid-September?

Lew
Nydia White
2004-08-24 23:01:32 UTC
Post by LewBob
What are the odds that "our wonderful summer weather comes back"? If it
doesn't, what kind of weather should I expect in mid-September?
Odds?? Hmmmm, not sure that I am willing to give any sort of favorable odds on
Northwest weather any time of the year.
It is usually quite nice here in the fall. Up on the peninsula it should be
good. Sequim and that area is known as the "banana belt" and often has good
weather when it's bad almost everywhere else.
I would still count on it to be cool to chilly in the mornings and the
evenings. A light jacket at least. Fleece is a common coverup around these
parts.
I doubt that you will have to worry about rain too much. Now that I have
actually gone and said that, watch it rain for 40 days and 40 nights.
But seriously, we usually are blessed with very nice "indian summers" with nice
warm weather for several weeks after labor day.
Don't push it though and bring along a couple of sweatshirts and a light
jacket.

Nydia White
2003 Coleman Bayside
1998 Chevy Silverado
Washington State
Bob Giddings
2004-08-24 22:36:15 UTC
Post by Nydia White
Post by Rick J.
[...]
I stumbled on the 3 crabs quite by accident, while exploring
Dungeness. I went in for the view. I ate the open face crab
sandwich. 30 minutes after leaving I got a case of the gottagoes that
went on for hours.

But that's just me. Others seem to have lucked out.

Bob

www.arcatapet.net/bobgiddings

Current email at:
bobgiddings0 at yahoo dot com
Ralph Lindberg
2004-08-24 21:56:25 UTC
Post by Rick J.
If you like seafood and get anywhere near Sequim, Wa, don't miss the
Three Crabs Restaurant.
They should be, since Sequim is between Port Townsend and Port
Angeles. But I will also endorse the Three Crabs, best sea food in the
area.

There is also an Italian on the west side of down town Sequim (south
side of the road), I wish I could recall the name, but it's very good.
They even do a good Italian Sunday Brunch.
The local Mexican is also not too bad (Sequim)

I can't endorse a single place to eat in P.A., not that I haven't
eaten there, I do (more then almost any of these towns), I just can't
endorse any of them.

I also can't say anything about P.T., I never seem to eat there.

The Cafe is Chimicum is fine simple food though.
Personal email ***@amsat.org (@callsign.net's a SPAM trap)
Ralph Lindberg
2004-08-24 23:08:29 UTC
In article <n7bsn-***@individual.net>,
Ralph Lindberg <***@callsign.net> wrote:

..
Post by Ralph Lindberg
I can't endorse a single place to eat in P.A., not that I haven't
eaten there, I do (more then almost any of these towns), I just can't
endorse any of them.
I also can't say anything about P.T., I never seem to eat there.
Just has some friends reccomend the Secret Garden, in fact they are
going tonight. Have to try it sometime
Personal email ***@amsat.org (@callsign.net's a SPAM trap)
LewBob
2004-08-24 23:31:45 UTC
Post by Ralph Lindberg
Post by Rick J.
If you like seafood and get anywhere near Sequim, Wa, don't miss the
Three Crabs Restaurant.
They should be, since Sequim is between Port Townsend and Port
Angeles. But I will also endorse the Three Crabs, best sea food in the
area.
There is also an Italian on the west side of down town Sequim (south
side of the road), I wish I could recall the name, but it's very good.
They even do a good Italian Sunday Brunch.
The local Mexican is also not too bad (Sequim)
I can't endorse a single place to eat in P.A., not that I haven't
eaten there, I do (more then almost any of these towns), I just can't
endorse any of them.
I also can't say anything about P.T., I never seem to eat there.
The Cafe is Chimicum is fine simple food though.
--
The wife is Italian-American. I can pretty much guarantee if I mention
Italian Sunday Brunch we'll be there. Thanks for the tip, Ralph.

Lew
LewBob
2004-08-25 03:29:07 UTC
Post by Ralph Lindberg
Post by Rick J.
If you like seafood and get anywhere near Sequim, Wa, don't miss the
Three Crabs Restaurant.
They should be, since Sequim is between Port Townsend and Port
Angeles. But I will also endorse the Three Crabs, best sea food in the
area.
There is also an Italian on the west side of down town Sequim (south
side of the road), I wish I could recall the name, but it's very good.
They even do a good Italian Sunday Brunch.
The local Mexican is also not too bad (Sequim)
I can't endorse a single place to eat in P.A., not that I haven't
eaten there, I do (more then almost any of these towns), I just can't
endorse any of them.
I also can't say anything about P.T., I never seem to eat there.
The Cafe is Chimicum is fine simple food though.
--
Ralph,

Streets&Trips identifies Tarcisio Italian Place in Sequim in a location that
might be what you recall. Does the name ring a bell?

Lewis
piotor
2004-08-27 16:22:20 UTC
This URl lists a bunch of restaurants in Sequim.

http://sequim.com/about/eat.html

i can personally recommend

Gwennies: God food, good service, good price. Best chocolate malt.

Khu Larb Thai Restauran: Good price, good service. Be sure to
specify how hot you want it.

Red Ranch Inn is gone

Tarcisio's: Italian. Expensive and worth it. Try their antipasto
salad.

Three Crabs: good view of water, expensive. Mediocre food.

Tom-Tom's Chicken Inn: Right next to Khu Larb: Good price, good
service, inexpensive.

PORT TOWNSEND

If you keep going through the main street of town there is a lot for
RV parking at the end.

If you park there, walk back along main St and stay on the left side.
There is an AUTHENTIC 1950s soda fountain on the left side. Complete
with Wurlitzer juke boxes and a selector on each table.

Waterfront pizza: REALLY good pizza. watch them make it. Tiny bar
or takeout by the slice.

Chimacum cafe 9253 Rhody Drive, Chimacum Voted best chocolate malt
small parking lot.

PORT ANGELES

Bushwhacker: steak an chops. expensive but good food.

My travel page
http://www.rvtravel.8k.com
John Kinney
2004-08-24 19:07:41 UTC
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:33:06 +0000 in
Post by LewBob
It's our first trip in that area and would like some
recommendations on restaurants in the Port Townsend-Port Angeles area.
If you get farther south into the Southworth area, take a ferry
across to Bremerton (southwest Seattle) and try Pegasus Pizza, overlooking
the sound at 2806 Alki Avenue SW, Seattle, WA 98116. Tel: 206-932-4849.

Regards, John Kinney
Ralph Lindberg
2004-08-24 21:50:28 UTC
Post by LewBob
It's our first trip in that area and would like some
recommendations on restaurants in the Port Townsend-Port Angeles area.
If you get farther south into the Southworth area, take a ferry
across to Bremerton (southwest Seattle) and try Pegasus Pizza, overlooking
the sound at 2806 Alki Avenue SW, Seattle, WA 98116. Tel: 206-932-4849.
I can't comment on the Pizzaria, but these driving directions are
purty bad.
Going from Southworth to Bremerton to get to west Seattle, is well,
not correct. You would take the Southworth ferry to get to west Seattle,
the Bremerton ferry will take you into down-town Seattle.
Personal email ***@amsat.org (@callsign.net's a SPAM trap)
John Kinney
2004-08-26 12:37:48 UTC
On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:50:28 -0700 in
Post by Ralph Lindberg
I can't comment on the Pizzaria, but these driving directions are
purty bad.
Going from Southworth to Bremerton to get to west Seattle, is well,
not correct. You would take the Southworth ferry to get to west Seattle,
the Bremerton ferry will take you into down-town Seattle.
I thought I posted a correction yesterday, but don't see it online
anywhere. Here 'tis again:

Oops... I meant the Southworth to Fauntleroy ferry. My apologies,
Tuesday was a very rough day.

Regards, John Kinney
Pete Dumbleton
2004-08-28 01:24:15 UTC
Post by LewBob
The wife and I will be hauling our 16-foot Scamp from Colorado to the
Olympic Peninsula in mid-September, staying most of the time at Fort Worden
State Park. It's our first trip in that area and would like some
recommendations on restaurants in the Port Townsend-Port Angeles area. We
may also camp a few nights on the west side on Olympic National Park.
Suggestions for sites and eateries there would be appreciated too.
Lew
(Living near where Bob Giddings is hold up - I'll try to stop by with the
beer before we leave, Bob.)
When you get in the area of the Olympic Natl Park, pick up a park
brochure with the map on it. Correlate the marked campgrounds on one
side with the table of campgrounds on the other -- those are the
official ONP CGs and are nice, but no hookups -- the remaining CGs are
mostly freebies run by the WA Fish/Game and are nice; 6-12 sites per
CG. I believe the limit is a total of something like seven days of
thirty in all combined. Obviously, you don't want to show up on a
friday or saturday and expect a site.
LewBob
2004-08-28 04:35:27 UTC
Post by Pete Dumbleton
Post by LewBob
[...]
Good tip, Pete. I'll definitely check that out.

And thanks to all others with suggestions. Looks like we'll be well situated
and will be able to find some good grub.

Lew
Bob Giddings
2004-08-28 05:01:24 UTC
Post by LewBob
Post by Pete Dumbleton
Post by LewBob
beer before we leave, Bob.)
When you get in the area of the Olympic Natl Park, pick up a park
brochure with the map on it. Correlate the marked campgrounds on one
side with the table of campgrounds on the other -- those are the
official ONP CGs and are nice, but no hookups -- the remaining CGs are
mostly freebies run by the WA Fish/Game and are nice; 6-12 sites per
CG. I believe the limit is a total of something like seven days of
thirty in all combined. Obviously, you don't want to show up on a
friday or saturday and expect a site.
Good tip, Pete. I'll definitely check that out.
And thanks to all others with suggestions. Looks like we'll be well situated
and will be able to find some good grub.
Lew
Hey, where's that legendary beer? :o)

I'll probably be leaving monday. Have a great trip.

LewBob
2004-08-28 18:30:14 UTC
Post by Bob Giddings
Post by LewBob
Post by Pete Dumbleton
Post by LewBob
beer before we leave, Bob.)
When you get in the area of the Olympic Natl Park, pick up a park
brochure with the map on it. Correlate the marked campgrounds on one
side with the table of campgrounds on the other -- those are the
official ONP CGs and are nice, but no hookups -- the remaining CGs are
mostly freebies run by the WA Fish/Game and are nice; 6-12 sites per
CG. I believe the limit is a total of something like seven days of
thirty in all combined. Obviously, you don't want to show up on a
friday or saturday and expect a site.
Good tip, Pete. I'll definitely check that out.
And thanks to all others with suggestions. Looks like we'll be well situated
and will be able to find some good grub.
Lew
Hey, where's that legendary beer? :o)
I'll probably be leaving monday. Have a great trip.
Bob
Bob,

I'm still hoping to drop by your site. Perhaps this evening. Can't promise
the beer will be "legendary." We're leaving Monday too. Heading in different
directions, I guess.

Lew
Bob Giddings
2004-08-28 19:14:51 UTC
Post by LewBob
Post by Bob Giddings
Post by LewBob
Post by Pete Dumbleton
Post by LewBob
State Park. It's our first trip in that area and would like some
recommendations on restaurants in the Port Townsend-Port Angeles
area.
Post by Bob Giddings
Post by LewBob
We
Post by Bob Giddings
Post by LewBob
and will be able to find some good grub.
Lew
Hey, where's that legendary beer? :o)
I'll probably be leaving monday. Have a great trip.
Bob
Bob,
I'm still hoping to drop by your site. Perhaps this evening. Can't promise
the beer will be "legendary." We're leaving Monday too. Heading in different
directions, I guess.
Lew
You'll be welcome if you can. Otherwise, we'll meet again.